Friday, November 22, 2013

seeing God's love everyday

I see and feel God in my ordinary life every single day.
 
Since I have become a mom, I am better at discerning God's voice.  It is not audible.   Instead, it is a feeling...a message through a moment that speaks to my heart.

I feel it when my 3-year-old repeatedly hugs and kisses me.    I feel it when my oldest leaves me a note that says, "I love you Mom."   I feel it when my middle son asks me to snuggle with him and plays with my hair.   I feel it when we eat dinner as a family.  I feel it when the room fills with laughter because of something cute our boys have done.  I feel it when my husband tells me he will watch the boys and for me to go do something I want to do.  Or he slips his arm around me, just because.   I feel it when my oldest bites into a s'more and his first tooth falls out.  I am captivated by his toothless grin.  I feel it in the excitement of my boys learning something new:  first smile, first word, first steps, learning to swim, learning to read and learning ride a bike.   I feel it when my boys play together,  filling our home with such joy and energy.  I feel it when we do something fun as a family: ice skate, swimming, the zoo, movies, holidays, vacations.... 

In those kind of moments, I look at my family and I think, "I could not love you any deeper."  Then, I feel God speak to my heart:  "And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,  may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,  and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God"  (Ephesians 3:17-19, NIV).

God speaks of his love in those beautiful moments embedded in ordinary life, nestled sweetly between spilled milk, tantrums, bickering children and all of life's imperfections that also reside in our home.

Yet, God's love speaks louder than the tough family moments.   Because even in the discouragement and fatigue that can come with motherhood, I still look at my family and think, "I could not love you more."  That thought reflects back on to me from my Heavenly Father and speaks directly to my heart.  And I feel God say, "I also could not love you more."  

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linking up over at WholeHearted Home this week. I really appreciated your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judith! I enjoyed looking at your blog!

      Delete
  2. Cheryl...what a sweet post. God is in the ordinary as well as the extraordinary. Thank you for sharing at WJIM's Monday's Musings. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Naomi! I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving as well!

    ReplyDelete