Wednesday, April 30, 2014

I worry because it makes me feel like I am doing something...

I worry because it makes me feel like I am doing something.

The other morning, I was driving to work worrying about the rash on my son's arms and legs.  I had just taken him to the doctor and was told there was nothing to be concerned about.  The rash was not dangerous or contagious, but it would take ten days to a month to go away.  The doctor showed me on the computer what it was and even other possibilities of what it could be and explained why he ruled out each other option and narrowed down his diagnosis.  The doctor was confident, intelligent and thorough in his explanation; I left the his office feeling relieved.

But then there I was, a few days later, spending my whole drive to work worrying that the rash wouldn't go away or get worse.

Now, I know it is in the nature of mothers to worry about their children, but I often worry unnecessarily.  Because, if I worry, then it makes me feel like I am doing something about a situation I usually have no or little control over.  It's my way of convincing God that he really should listen to my prayers and pay attention to my concern.  Because if I spend lots of time worrying, then God will get that I really really need his help in certain situations.

Hmmm...I don't think that's how God works.

Ephesians 2:8-9 says, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast."

My favorite thing about Christianity is that Jesus saves us because he loves us, not because we did or did not do something.  Because if God's love was based on what I did, I would drive myself and everyone else around me crazy trying to work for God's love.  Christianity is not about what I do, it's about what Jesus did.

My prayer for today is that I turn my worry into praise.  When I feel myself worry, I will say a prayer of praise to God who saves us all by his grace.  

Will this fix my worry forever?  Of course not - but today, I am going to try and let it go....




Linked to:  Whole Hearted HomeA Little R & R, Faith Filled Friday, Hello Happiness

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! I learned a few years ago, worry comes from discontentment & lack of trust in my Savior. When I realized this truth, it put all things in perspective & I've been able to stand victorious in the battle against worry & anxiety. Blessings to you & yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting - I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful--focus on the worry one day at a time! Handing our worries over to the Lord really is him working his grace in & through us. We don't just need him for eternal salvation, we also need him in our everyday lives. Thanks for sharing, I found you at A Little R & R link-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed reading your thoughts! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Timely words for me today as I worry about something that isn't even mine to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that often!:) Thanks for leaving me your comment!

      Delete
  4. A great post. I like the graphic that says, "Today I will worry less". I think I don't even realize when I am worrying sometimes.

    ReplyDelete