Thursday, April 3, 2014

Once a Month - March

Our family has been working on sharing Jesus' love by giving and serving more.  If you want to read the start of our journey and why we decided to do this, click here.
 
I had in my head what I wanted to do this month, but then I got invited to go to a Shoot-a-Thon Adoption Fundraiser by a family from our church. 
 
We don't really know the family raising money very well, but I used to work with this family's mother/grandmother.  She shared with me a little about their adoption journey. She told me about how after hearing the story of two kids wishing to be adopted, this family was deeply moved and felt called to adopt these two children.
 
For about a year, this family has been trying to raise the $50,000+ that it costs to bring these kids home. This family has two biological kids, a son and daughter, and the kids decided to fundraise by asking people pledge money for the number of baskets they shot.  They shot baskets for eight hours! 
 
That is dedication.  That is the sign of kids that understand that sometimes sharing God's love requires sacrifice and selfless actions.  Those are the kind of kids I want my boys to see and the kind of event I want to be apart of. 
 
I was so moved by the story that I changed what we were going to give to this month and we spent a little time at the fundraiser.  It was awesome.  Do you see all the bags of cookies we bought?  In the short amount of time that I was chatting with the adoptive mother, two of my boys ate six cookies each!  Six! 
 
That's okay - we got a chance to support this fabulous cause and my boys got to see that God can move even kids to do big things.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment