Friday, June 27, 2014

Stillness in the daily chaos...

“Be still, and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10

I love the idea of daily being still before the Lord. I love feeling Jesus' love, hearing Him speak to my heart, and growing in a better understanding of who God is. But, I feel like I don’t always have time to do this. And really…how does a busy mother actually “be still” during the day?  Constantly stopping during the day to “be still” seems challenging and maybe even impractical. 
I decided to play around with this idea.

In March, while I was on spring break from teaching and home with only my three-year-old, I decided to try and pause numerous times throughout the day to "be still."

Day one was a completely failure.  I actually had a little anxiety about if I was being still enough or being still correctly.  It took me a whole day to convince myself that there wasn’t a right or wrong way to be still in front of God. It was more about mentally standing before Him in silence, with an open heart.
Since March, I have been doing my best to pause during the day and mentally be still before God.

Here are some moments I have had:

While walking to the zoo with my youngest, gentle spring snow was falling.  I let my mind still before God and I saw the beauty in my youngest reaching out his hand to grab for the thick, warm snowflakes.

When I compared myself to someone else and fell short, I stilled my mind and stood before the Lord. I had to do this several times before I found peace in my heart.  Comparison is a beast.
When I looked out the window, I inhaled deeply and thought of being still and knowing God. I noticed how beautiful the trees were swaying in rhythmic motions to the caressing wind. Why do I not notice how lovely God’s beautiful creation of earth is more?

As I read a book to my oldest, he leaned his head against me, and I stilled my mind and felt God’s blessing.  I don’t know how many years left I have of him putting his head on my shoulder.

My middle son was having a hard time and we talked as I tucked him in to bed.  He was so cute snuggled deep in his covers, looking up at me with his big blue eyes and freckles that skipped across his nose.  I stilled my mind and I felt Jesus' love in that moment, even amongst the challenges of parenting.

When I was nervous about something, I mentally stood before the Lord. I felt His presence as He calmed my heart.

When I was having an over-the-top stressful week, I paused before God in a state of survival.  God’s goodness was reflected in my husband’s actions. He came home from work and without me asking, jumped right in to helping me.
When my youngest needed me in the middle of the night, I lay on the floor next to his toddler bed, wide awake.  I prayed over something that was bothering me. I felt Jesus speak to my heart, not really with a solution, but with the kind of peace that His presence brings. 

Some days have gone by when I haven’t paused at all and some days I have stood before God numerous times. 

When I am still before God, my mind wanders to what I know about Him: kindness, goodness, all-powerful, all-knowing, full of grace, love and peace. In this stillness, God always shows up and freely gives me His grace and peace and joy. His presence makes the small moments of daily life seem not so mundane.

 “In your presence is fullness of joy” (Psalm 16:11, NKJV).
 
See the beautiful blogs I have linked up to HERE

12 comments:

  1. I think that a lot of us, as moms, and wives, and even single working women, struggle with finding time, amidst the chaos that is too often the fabric of our lives, to spend time communing with God. Thank you for sharing your journey to draw closer to Him. Matt 6:33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is so hard to find time to be STILL. Life is too busy. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  2. Stopping by via My Salt, His Light (www.mysalthislight.wordpress.com) to show some love! We are neighbors at Essential Fridays and Fellowship Friday this week! Beautiful post, and so true. Its difficult at times to mentally "stop" and be still, as a busy mother and wife (who also wears many other hats!). You've encouraged me to actively seek out more still moments. I will be trying this! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany. I stopped over at your blog too. Loved it - I started following you.

      Delete
  3. Awww. Loved this. It's one of my favorite verses. Thank you for the encouragement. I found you over at Christian Mommy Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful and such a lovely reminder. It can be challenging to "be still" as a busy mom... but it's so essential to build our relationship with God, to hear Him, and to feel at peace.

    Thanks so much for sharing (and for linking up to the SHINE Blog Hop).

    Wishing you a delightful evening.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me share on your lovely blog, Jennifer!

      Delete
  5. i like how you mentally and intentionally stay still before God. i need to do this more often. also, it's great how you're becoming aware of His presence through the things and people around you. there's beauty in the seemingly small, simple things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is beauty in the seemingly small, simply things - I have had such a need to look for God's beauty in daily life.:) Thanks for leaving a comment. I enjoyed reading your words!

      Delete
  6. I love how practical your examples are... It's not about finding yet another 10 minute slot in the day for yet another of our good ambitions!

    ReplyDelete