Friday, July 4, 2014

Dream Big


 I am a dreamer. Even though I am crazy busy in the demanding role of motherhood, I am still a dreamer...

And why shouldn't I be?  I believe in a big God.

Matthew 19:26 says, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Dreams are often laid on your heart by God.  The kind of dreams that you know you could be really good at.  The kind of dreams that get you excited.  The kind of dreams that often push you out of your comfort zone and help you to grow.  The kind of dreams that seem like you are being magnetically pulled towards. The kind of dreams that feel in your heart like God is trying to get your attention and nudge you in a direction that He wants you to follow.

Ted and Dorothy Hustead were dreamers.

When we were in South Dakota recently, we stopped by their Wall Drug store after a sweltering hot day at the Badlands National Park for some of their free water and juicy burgers.  As we waited for our food, I read the pamphlet on the table giving history of the store.  (You can read the same story HERE.) Ted and Dorothy Hustead had a dream of owning a drug store in a small town with a church they felt like they could worship at.  They wanted to share their gifts and reach others through their store.

After much prayer by themselves and their families, they felt led to buy a small drug store in Wall, South Dakota.  They town was small and poor and there seemed to be an unlikely decision.  But they felt God's nudging.

The Hustead's decided to pursue their dream for five years.  They would watch all the traveler's on the highway drive by their store and wish they would stop by for a break and some refreshment. But nobody did.  When their five unsuccessful years were almost up, Dorothy had an idea.  She suggested to Ted that they put signs up with a catchy little jiggle that advertised free water on the highway for any of the travelers that wanted to stop by their store.

And that is when it all began.  Every day, thousands of visitors enjoy their store.  It is a huge wonderful store that is a reprieve from long road trips and the South Dakota summer heat.

The Hustead's story is a great reminder to follow the dreams you feel God has laid on your heart.

I don't think that follow your dreams means that you are always going to achieve what you envision, but I don't think you are always suppose to.  I think dreams are more about who you become when you step out in faith to follow God.  Failed dreams might lead you to more gratitude and confirmation that you were in the right spot when you started.  Or something else might intrigue you and you might get off on the road to your dream before you reach it. Or the end result of your dream might be different than you expected.  But, still...dream big....

Are you hesitating?  If you feel it is God's leading and the nudging in your soul that you are suppose to do something, maybe you should just go for it...

God is bigger than your dreams will every be.  And He promises to lead us: "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you" (Psalm 32:8, NIV).

Dream big.  Listen to God's voice in your heart. Seek His guidance. Step out in faith. With God, nothing is impossible.
 
See all the fabulous blogs I have linked up with HERE.


9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  2. Luv this ! thanks for posting and sharing ...
    It reminds me of Heather Boersma's book 'DREAM BIG' - you'd like it, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out that book. Thanks for the recommendation. I enjoyed checking out your blog. It is lovely!

      Delete
  3. We need to dream big!! Can't wait to see if I can. I have to do a little more trusting in God! thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a comment and sharing a small piece of your faith journey with me. It is ALWAYS a journey, isn't it...:)

      Delete
    2. And I also enjoyed looking at your blog!

      Delete
  4. I love this! I love that they took that step in faith and that God turned their store around by an act of generosity. Wow - that's giving Him the glory.

    Thanks for the nudge to listen to (and follow) my dreams. Also, thanks so much for sharing (and for linking up to the SHINE Blog Hop).

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I love that it was an act of generosity as well! Thank you so much for letting me link up to your lovely blog! And for your comment!

    ReplyDelete