Saturday, August 2, 2014

On teaching our kids to give...

Once a Month - July

This month my friend was running a half-marathon and to help raise money to provide clean water for people in Africa. Her kids and mine are friends, so when I told my boys what their friend's mom was doing we were totally in for contributing and praying for her. She recently had her fourth son so I was pretty inspired by her determination; she could be running for almost any cause I would have been "in." 

The night before the race, I gathered my little boys before bedtime and said, "Our friend's race is tomorrow.  Let's pray for her tonight."

My boys looked at me confused.

Me:  You know how we have been working on giving more once a month for almost a year now?
Oldest Son (with a longer pause than I would have liked): Yes.
Middle Son: No.
My youngest son was not even acting interested.
Me (to my middle son):  Don't you remember at Christmas giving clean water and money for a small business loan for women through World Vision?
Middle Son: No
Me: Praying for orphans?
Middle Son: No
Me:  What about grocery shopping for the food pantry?
Middle Son: No
Oldest Son:  Working at Feed My Starving Children?
Middle Son:  Oh yes - I remember that.
Me: Going to IKEA to get kitchen stuff for orphans aging out of foster care?
Middle Son: No.

I sat gaping at my beautiful middle son.

Middle Son: I do remember watching a kid play basketball and eating cookies.  (At an adoption fundraiser.)

I let out a sigh of relief that he has in fact remembered two of the things we have done.  I then glance around the room for my youngest whose initial disinterest has turned in to him just disappearing.  I see him climbing up to the top of the dresser because his tooth brush is up there.

I freak out because I think I remember hearing someone tell me that they read somewhere that a kid climbed up furniture and it fell down on him and he died.  (If you know the story, don't tell...these type of things keep me up at night.)

When we finally got to actually praying my middle son said, "I want to pray for a different friend's mom that is running...running for office."  Okay, I guess that works too.

I love my beautiful children more than life itself but I sometimes I think I am getting the early signs of Alzheimer's and I suspect it is because of them.

But in seriousness, if we have been working on this for almost a year and one of my son's is having trouble remembering what we are doing, maybe I am not speaking to his heart as much as I thought I was.  I know he is a just a little boy, so I don't want to make too big of a deal of his funny complete loss of memory moment, but still it is causing me to reflect.

Maybe next month, they will choose what we do without my guidance. Then, would they feel more personally invested in our mission? Will they hear God's nudge in their heart to choose a place to serve or give?

Or maybe - just maybe, my middle son is not totally off in his forgetfulness.  Maybe he just understands the meaning of this quote better than I do:



I need to think and pray about this.

Regardless, my friend ran her race and I am super proud of her.  She is a Mama-World-Changer for sure.

And my boys...well no matter what they say or do, they just totally have my heart.



Grateful to link to these wonderful blogs and Christian Mommy Blogger.

8 comments:

  1. So sweet & funny! May God continue to bless as you work with your precious little guys. I'm visiting from the blog link-up. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Renee. I have visited your blog before and enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just loved this!!! Thanks for sharing and - as always - inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me smile, but I want to encourage you that they remember more than we think and it comes out at just the right times. God is so faithful to do that. My kids told me once they didn't remember the things that bothered me most about my failures but they did remember the fun we had, even though it was maybe not as often as I'd like to be fun. They will remember those important things, and you will be blessed when they exhibit His grace to others because of it. You are doing a good job, Momma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love everything you said! Thank you so much! I do feel encouraged!

      Delete
  5. This post is funny and sweet too! You are a close neighbor at Spiritual Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hazel. I enjoyed reading your blog post as well!

      Delete