Monday, September 1, 2014

A fresh start...

I love the start of a new school year.  It holds so much promise.  Like none of last year's challenges will arise. 

My now 3rd grade son will love to work on his math facts.  When I ask him what 5 x 3 is, he wouldn't say things like, "I have practiced that before, so I don't need to again." Or make silly comments like, "weird + weird = weird, weird.  Get it, mom?"  Yes, but I don't want to. Instead, he would just spit out the answer without hemming and hawing about why he needs to know how to multiply.  Or add. Or subtract.

My now 2nd grade son will take the time to write neatly, like he does when he practices at home.  His teacher will not write on every single assignment to work on neatness.    

At school, my older boys will consistently eat their vegetables at lunch and will always be calm and productive in the classroom. 

My four-year-old will not need everything he eats dipped in ranch.  Meat, vegetables, fruit, bread...it all is covered in ranch before placed in his mouth.  Instead, he would enjoy the meals we cook him as is and politely thank us when he is done.  He also won't follow his older brothers around and demand their toy, or pencil, or book, or whatever they touch that magically makes him want the same thing.

As a family, we can get through the store without the boys getting bored and wrestling each other to the ground. Or my youngest running as fast as he can with the kid-cart until it falls over, then screaming at the top of his lungs across the store that he need us to help him pick it up.
 
We will always get places on time, dressed appropriately.

A new school year holds so much promise and hope.  I love the "clean slate" feeling when we vow, as a family, to learn from last year's experiences and try and do things a little better. 

It feels like a New Year's resolution.   

It feels like God's grace.   

That grace I feel every morning when I wake up with a fresh start.  A chance to reflect on what works and what I need to try differently. Of course life won't go perfectly; I don't think it is suppose to. Failure is sometimes an essential part of growth and even success. And God loves us no matter what. 

But it always feels good to stand at the edge of a fresh start blanked with grace. 

Happy first day of school. 
 
 Thankful to link to Christian Mommy Blogger and  these blogs.

10 comments:

  1. yay! my little one started a few weeks ago, but it's still fun, exciting and new. Hopefully it will stay that way for a while!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittany, thanks for your comment. I love that you said, "for all while." That's what I hope for too:)

      Delete
  2. I love your view on this! I always thought I would dread the time that Mia has to start school... but looking at it this way, it will be nice to have a little motivation (aside from New Years) to start fresh and really tackle my goals! Love this! Hope your boys are loving school!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are loving it so far! :) Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. I always love the clean slate, too. Why do I always envision things so perfectly though?!? Haha, I love what your son says about math facts and what you're thinking when he does it! :) #wakeupwednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envision it perfectly too and it never happens!:) Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love the new school year too. Even though my "kids" are now in college and a junior in high school - I still get giddy about new beginnings (and new school supplies) Love this! Visiting from the link up!
    Beckey
    http://reallyreallyrealhousewives.blogspot.com
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/queenbsbusywork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get giddy too! I haven't checked out your blog yet. I will do that!

      Delete
  5. Your sweet boys look very happy to be in school. Dream on for all your wishes to come true as your resolutions suggest. Just remember you have BOYS and even Christian boys get mischievous at times. :-) Thank you for sharing your lovely post with us here at “Tell Me a Story.” http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me link up! And the reminder that they will get mischievous!:)

      Delete