Saturday, September 20, 2014

To Follow

Once a Month - August
 
I didn't want to give this month.  We are remodeling our leaky bathroom and it has gotten expensive, so my heart was just not into our family commitment to serve the Lord through giving and serving others more. (If you want to read about why we started this giving/serving more journey, click here.) 

We were at church and there was a call to help buy school supplies for those in need.  My heart tugged but my head stood firm in skipping giving this month.  I had just bought my own kids school supplies and I didn't want to buy more for someone else.

Later that day, my younger two sons and I were at the store. When we walked by the school supplies, God whispered to my heart for us to buy them.

I have made a commitment to try and listen to God's voice in my heart and actually follow.  Wouldn't it be so cool to really live a life that honors God?  To actually hear Him, feel Him and follow Him?  That is what I am trying to do and I find the promises of joy that He talks about in scripture erupt in my life like firecrackers.  Promises such as:

 "Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord." (Phillipians 3:8, NLT)

"I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will
overflow!" (John 15:11, NLT)

So when I felt God's nudging in the store, I decided to move.  I let my middle son pick out all the school supplies.  (Partly in hopes that he would remember our family giving and serving mission - if you missed that post click here.)

But sometimes, God works in funny ways.

Later that evening I was surprised by a huge blessing. 

My neighbor asked if I wanted to go through and take any of her work clothes she was donating.  I needed to buy some more work clothes but I hadn't had time to shop by myself and after paying so much this month for our much needed bathroom remodel, I didn't want to spend the money on myself.  But here she was giving me three cute dresses and a bunch of nice shirts.  I didn't have to spend any of my time or money on some new work clothes.

God provided me something that I needed.

It reminded me of the saying, "What goes around comes around." 
Or Luke 6:38: "Give, and it will be given to you." 

I felt so humbled.  I have heard many sermons on the blessings you receive when you give, but for some reason, I have a hard time fully believing them.  Yet the timing in this situation was awful coincidental for me to deny that God blessed me.

God, you are so kind to me.  Help me to continue to hear your voice; let it move my soul and help me to be bold enough to follow you.

5 comments:

  1. Hi. :) I just ran into your site. Can't wait to read more!! Funny about your post, the same thing happened to me too 2 weeks ago... I had previously entered an online drawing to win a copy of Jen Hatmaker's book "Interrupted". A couple weeks went by and I had actually forgotten about it. In my mail arrived this great looking Autumn / Fall magazine from Better Homes & Gardens. It was wrapped in plastic addressed to someone that lived a few blocks away from me. I wanted to open it and read it SO bad, as I have a HUGE crush on the holidays, but I didn't. I felt a tug at my heart to return the magazine to the person on the address label. I made up my mind to return it to her. I even prayed to God and told him that I would return it. That same day, I get an email from Proverbs 31 Ministries that I had won the Jen Hatmaker book. I was like "Whoa!" A couple weeks later, I finally had time and I took my toddler son for that walk a few blocks away and returned the magazine to the lady. After I got home, the book I had won was waiting for me in my mailbox. God has His ways. And yes, "what comes around goes around." I just started blogging last month. It's always awesome to meet another friend in Christ!! Hope to stay in touch. ;) Cindy from www.inspirememama.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I replied on your blog! What a great blog!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much. I love your comment on my page. :) I just posted a new blog right now, so if you're having a bad day, maybe it will make your heart smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. If we lived closer, I would let you take pics of my son & I. You have & take beautiful pics!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would have loved to take your pictures!:) I will definitely be back to visit your blog.

      Delete