Saturday, November 22, 2014

Let your faith be bigger than your fear.

I recently spoke at MOPS.  My first official Mother of Preschoolers speaking engagement.
 
I felt led to speak at MOPS and loved every minute of it. I continue to feel led to speak and share my faith journey and how God has come alive to me in my everyday life through motherhood. 
 
But…
 
Alongside the strong feeling of being led to do something, often comes a feeling of fear.
 
Because, what if I cannot do what God has called me to do well enough? God is awesome, so isn’t everything He leads equal to His awesomeness? This thought can immobilize me and make me talk myself out of His leading.
 
But, doesn’t God sometimes call us to do things that are average or mundane: to get up every day to go to work; to help your kids with their homework; to text someone encouragement; to buy a friend a cup of coffee; to listen to your son tell you why he chose every single Lego he did to make his creation; to assistant-coach your son’s basketball team because they needed someone, even though you got cut from your 6th grade basketball team; to show up daily , even when you don’t feel like it…. 
 
Awesome is good, but sometimes so is the average, mundane and just okay.  So how come I can hesitate because I fear that what God has called me to do, I might not be able to do awesome enough? God can move through moments that seem mundane and insignificant and simply not amazing.  God is bigger than the idea that everything has to be awesome. 
 
And how do I know what I am called to do won’t be good enough unless I try?

So fear can crawl back into the shadows. I don't need it.  None of us do.
 
Let’s be done worrying that we will fall short of what God has called us to do. Let’s not let fear hold us back. Whatever is on our heart – whether it is little or big or tough or easy – let’s listen to God’s leading. 
 
Let’s let our faith be bigger than our fear.
As a side note: I took this picture of this twisty tree in the beautiful Rocky Mountains.  Heaven just might look like Colorado.

Linked to: these blogs and Christian Mommy Blogger

14 comments:

  1. I love this. Just doing what we are called to do. Showing up and giving Him glory! Amen. Thanks so much for joining the Blessing Counters Party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh Cheryl!! This is so awesome!!!!! I feel called to do so much for God and as little things are slowly coming together, I am like "Whoa!" I was just telling my best friend "What if I slip and mess up what God wants me to do!?" ...or, "it's already been done and said 100 other different ways!?" That is the devil trying to mess with our heads. The devil puts feelings and thoughts of fear in us to distract us on what we are called to do for Jesus! The only fear we need, is the fear of God and in the end, we all need to be confident that we did all that He called us to do. What if YOU are the next Beth Moore!? ;) Ya never know!!! I love your blog posts!! I visit so many website blogs that are so empty or they post, just to post. Your blog posts are full of Christ and His gentle whisper of His reminders. Thank you for that!! I'm so happy I "met" ya and your blog :) Happy Thanksgiving!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, I am so happy I met you too!!! I was just thinking that earlier today!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely! Whatever we do, when we do it for His glory, it is certainly important and necessary. 1 Cor 10:31. It is pretty awesome, though to be able to get up and speak in to the hearts of women as you share what God is leading you to. Way to go! May he provide many more moments of opportunity for you to share your faith from the podium to the coffee shop table, and more.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the encouragement in this post. Fear of failure, not measuring up, has always been one of my main obstacles. But God doesn't want us to live in fear - thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome that you got to speak! I would have loved to have heard you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so wonderful when we get to do what God wants us to do and we know it, there is something so exciting in this, yet there is also some fear attached. No one wants to let God down, but knowing that He loves us no matter what gets us through. Thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for letting me link up!

      Delete
  7. Being steadfast in everything is often over-looked in this over-amusing, attention needy world but it is ever so important to God (and your children). Thank you for sharing this encouraging message on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. We hope you continue to join us each week!

    ReplyDelete