Saturday, December 6, 2014

Thanksgiving

Our fall has been unusually busy and it has left me feeling tired and drained. 
 
My parents came into town for Thanksgiving and declared themselves the support staff.  They stayed for over a week and were totally amazing. They cleaned my refrigerator, cleaned out the vents of my dryer, did laundry, dusted, vacuumed, organized closets, organized the playroom, baked, entertained my children, babysat while I went to work, and continually told me they were proud of me and I was doing a good job as a mom.
 
I enjoyed a week of less responsibilities. I relaxed more and spent a lot of time doing nothing. It was heavenly.  I felt rested and refreshed. 
 
After break, I was ready for the Monday morning try-and-get-everyone-out-the-door-in-a-somewhat-sane-manner chaos. One son decided to forgo getting dressed in order to play and had to be reminded multiple times to get real clothes on. When it was time to leave, my other son couldn't find his gloves and was crossing his fingers that he left his boots at school over the long break because there were also no where to be found. Then my youngest son decided that he needed to pack about fifteen extra things in his backpack.  Okay, maybe just one extra thing but he totally could have packed fifteen extra things in the time it took him to pack the one.  Then once his backpack was ready, he took a firm stance against going to daycare. He wanted Nana and Papa come back into town and take him to Chuck-e-Cheese again.  Please help me because we do not have time for these negotiations.  But, I handled it all with the calmness of a rested and refreshed woman.
 
I didn't ask for my parents help.  They just noticed that I could use a break.
 
This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for the people in my life who notice. My beautiful family and friends who make me feel loved and encouraged by noticing. My heart is deeply grateful for you all.
 
 
And speaking of noticing, the lovely Cindy from Inspire Me Mama featured my post on Let Your Faith be Bigger Than Your Fear.  Her blog is a good one to put on your reading list.  I would love it if you would check out her blog and my guest post. Thank you Cindy for noticing my blog.  I also have noticed yours!
 

17 comments:

  1. Cheryl, Thank you so much for linking this at Counting My Blessings. I just loved reading about your precious week with your family. Fun photos and a reminder of how hard it can be to get the kids back to reality after time with grandma and grandpa. I remember it well, and now my daughter says its okay and exactly the way it's supposed to be. Blessings to you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Grandparents are such a blessing! My friend and I were just talking about how much we appreciate and admire the generation above us. Thank you so much for letting me link up! I will be back to visit your page!:)

      Delete
  2. Awwwwww, I can SO relate...and in a funny way, too. "TWO" even.

    One, I'm a father with 12 children, 9 still at home. So having Grandma come over for 'candy week' is always a blast--the combined efforts are mind blowing when all the girls get together. We have 8 daughters, and the 6 still at home ALWAYS notice when mom is low on power.

    (thank you darlings...)

    In addition, Kathilynn (my wife) and I love to be that same help to our two married daughters--though they prefer to come stay with us and we love them here, here. They actually say, "It's so nice to come home to normalicy."

    Really!?? Wow. Perspective and loyalty to tribe traditions I'm guessing =)

    TWO--and this was huge for me--the line: "He wanted Nana and Papa come back into town and take him to Chuck-e-Cheese again."

    I choked.

    My oldest son, just now married (21) said the same thing 16 years ago. You see, Papa is MY dad and Nana is MY mom. Chuck-e-Cheese was our hangout, even when I was a kid.

    We lost my mom in a car wreck in 2004. So when I saw that single, sweet line...well, you can imagine the flood of emotions & fond memories I felt in an instant. Never could have seen that coming.

    Thank you for that. Truly.

    - Jaime Buckley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, thank you so much for your reply. I enjoyed reading it. I love what you said about YOUR Nana and YOUR Papa. I am so sorry about your mom. We recently lost my grandfather and it was so hard to say goodbye. Nothing fully prepares one for the loss of a family member. Family is magical.

      Also, I just went over and checked our your page. Comic books. Awesome. I have one son who loves reading them. I will be back to your page when I have more time to really read through it.

      Thank you for commenting and giving me an opportunity to check out your page!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so very much Cheryl!! :) Sooo sweet and kind!! You're the best! Also, this blog post is touching & beautiful. Your parents LOVE AND ADORE YOU :) I loved reading what you typed about them & all that they did for you! Warm Fuzzies!! Great pics too!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the best and I am so appreciative of you featuring my blog post. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. That. Is. Awesome. Especially that they didn't do it because they thought you couldn't keep up, but just to be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these pictures, these moments captured, are BEAUTIFUL <3 Precious <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very sweet, glad you got some rest from the hustle and bustle. I'm stopping by from the SHINEbloghop, thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful! I hope to be a blessing and "notice" a need like your wonderful parents! Thank you for sharing this sweet sentiment on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful caring parents you have, I am trying to be like this for my married daughter when we visit, it is such a blessings to be able to help others. Thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parents are just the best! I am sure you are a blessing to your daughter in more ways than you even realize. I have come to appreciate the generation above me so much. Thanks for letting me share!

      Delete
  9. What wonderful caring parents you have, I am trying to be like this for my married daughter when we visit, it is such a blessings to be able to help others. Thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete