Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Collect Memories

I love New Year's Resolutions. I have been reading other peoples' resolutions and words of the year and there is some good stuff out there.

But this resolution, by my beautiful cousin and mother of five, took my breath away:

"2015. My theme for last year will continue into the new one. Collect every moment possible and not worry, stress, obsess about things. When asked what my crew loved about last year it all had to do with memories, opportunities we had as a family and being with beautiful people we love. Jesus told the rich young ruler, do away with your possessions and follow me. He was not interested in others collecting things. He is and always will be all about people, passing down His wisdom through stories and His life and glorifying His father. We don't know what is to come in the New Year but building a foundation of memories and our faith in Jesus will help us with whatever comes our way. Galatians 5: 22-23 {LOVE.}"

Collect memories. Somehow this simplifies things for me. It seems attainable and realistic. It seems really fun. In collecting memories, think about how much more we are really doing: creating a loving home; getting to know our kids; spending quality time together; sharing stories and passing down wisdom; building a solid family unit; enjoying life; living in the moment; helping our kids to become best friends with each other; emphasizing the importance of family; and teaching our kids what Jesus taught us, that people and relationships are more important than things. If I read that list alone, I can wonder how that can all be done. When I hear, "collect memories." Well, that just seems fun. I can do that. 

Thank you, Jackie, for simplifying it for me. To all you moms out there - I learn so much from you.


6 comments:

  1. I am visiting from inspire me Tueday. This is a great post. This, worded slightly differently, is at the top of my new year's goals, monthly goals and even my daily goals. Every morning I ask, as apart of 5 focus questions, what can I do to make this day memorable and fun for us as a family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Thanks for leaving a comment!

      Delete
  2. Yes, collect your memories and write them down and save to a folder. Good true memories make the best stories. Thank you for sharing with us here at "tell Me a Story."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful and perfect! Thank you of sharing this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true!! I agree Cheryl. As you can see, I'm catching up on blogging. I took a break for the holidays. I'm going to post a blog on my site only once or twice a month to work on something for God and also, to concentrate on homeschooling my boy. HOWEVER, I will continue to comment and read the blogs I love, including yours. I will still blog on my site, just not every week like before. I looooove to blog, but I really feel like God has called me to do something for Him, for now, and I just need that time to work on this project. I will still post on Instagram, etc too! xoxo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, good for you for listening to God stir your heart. I will keep up with you both on your blog and on Instagram. I hope you love homeschooling your son. My sister homeschools. There are so many great things about homeschool. XO!

      Delete